By subscribing we will send you emails containing offers. You can read our privacy policy here.

Taking your car on holiday

 Published 20th June 2022
Driver Guides  General Guides 

Looking at all the recent airport disruption, if you're planning a summer holiday this year you wouldn't be blamed for thinking about taking your car across the channel instead. Driving in Europe is pretty straightforward and having the car at your disposal opens up new opportunities to explore.

If you are going to take your car abroad this summer there are a few things you should bear in mind when you're planning the trip.

If you're a lease customer there is only one extra thing you need to be aware of, and that's your VE103. To comply with the law, you should always carry your V5 registration document when you travel abroad, but if you're leasing you probably won't have that because technically you don't own the car.

What you'll need to do is ask for a VE103 form to confirm you have the lease company's permission to take the vehicle out of the country - contact us at Gateway2Lease and we can provide you with the information you need to order one. But allow time for it to be processed please.

It's purely a formality, but it's the only legal alternative to the V5 when travelling abroad. Other than that, the guidelines are the same for everyone regardless of whether they own or lease the vehicle in question. You must make sure your vehicle is taxed for the duration of your trip, has a valid MOT, and is fully insured to drive abroad.

What documents do you need?

As far as the important documents are concerned, for driving in Europe you will need to carry:

  • Full, valid driving licence and national insurance number
  • Proof of vehicle insurance
  • Passport
  • V5C certificate (VE103 if leasing)
  • Travel insurance documents
  • European Breakdown Cover policy number and documents
  • Possibly an International Driving Permit

Depending on which countries you intend to visit you may also need additional documents or driving permits so make sure you double check the regulations in advance. It also pays to check the driving rules and regulations ahead of time so you don't get caught out by strange road signs.

As well as the proper paperwork there is also the traditional list of required equipment for driving in Europe. You'll definitely need a high-viz vest for every occupant, warning triangle, first aid kit, as well as the requisite UK stickers and headlight beam deflectors. You should probably also make sure to have a complete set of spare bulbs, a fire extinguisher, and some of those DIY breathalyser kits just in case a nice police officer ever asks.

The AA has a good run down of all you need to have.

You probably want to make sure you've got a top-up of oil tucked away somewhere, maybe a spare fuel can, and an up-to-date map or sat nav usually comes in handy. After that it's up to you what you pack. Plenty of drinks and snacks, entertainment for the kids, inflatables for the pool, the entire contents of the wardrobe because you can't decide what to wear, the kitchen sink, or anything else you might find useful.

As long as your car is properly maintained and you've got all the correct documentation you'll be able to concentrate on the important job of enjoying your holiday. Have a great time, for all of us at Gateway2Lease!

Image credit: iStock Sergey Peterman.

View our latest blog posts